Sunday, October 29, 2006

Life Lessons in New England - Part Two


Sadly my New England vacation is fading to a dim and distant memory. But do I recall my visit to Salem, MA. It's known around the world, not for its maritime traditions, but for the infamous Salem Witch Trials.

At the Salem Witch Musuem, I watched a remarkably restrained history of the trials. But what was more surprising was a fair and balanced presentation on modern-day witches.

I know a fair amount about witchcraft. Once upon a time I played with the idea of writing a novel about witches in the 21st century. But it was one of those 'big digs' I decided to abandon.

The presentation reminded me of the core belief of modern-day witches: 'And if it harms none, do what you will.'

What if we all lived by that? What changes would we make in our lives? Would we give up our 9 to 5 job and travel the world? Start that internet business we've always dreamed off? Move across the country and start a new life?

But why don't we? What would our partner do? What would our parents say? What would our friends and neighbours think?

Are these really valid reasons?

Take a page out of a witch's spell book. And if it harms none, do what you will.

I'll see you on the back roads...

Colin

No comments: